At Koehler Chiropractic Sports & Spinal Rehab we recognize that your choice of physician is driven both by the doctor’s competency and personality. With chiropractic problems, you need a chiropractor who is experienced, understanding and supportive. You get this caring attitude from all the staff at Koehler Chiropractic Sports & Spinal Rehab every day. Our staff works together as a team to be sure we are responsive to your needs and keep you informed about your health issues. We look forward to getting to know you.
Thomas D. Koehler
Dr. Thomas Koehler was raised on the southwest side of Chicago. The eldest of four brothers and one sister,
Dr. Koehler attended the University of Illinois at Chicago. Dr. Koehler matriculated at the National College of Chiropractic (presently National University of Health Sciences), earning his Doctor of Chiropractic Degree in 1986.
Dr. Koehler has practiced in Kankakee County area since 1987 and currently maintains his practice in Bourbonnais, Illinois.
Dr. Koehler and his wife Jane have three grown children.
Dr. Koehler’s goal is to bring health and wellness to as many people as possible!
Dr. Koehler is actively involved in the communities in which he practices as a Trustee in the village of Bradley, as a Committee Member in the Village of Bradley for Community/Civic Affairs, and a Board Member of the Kankakee River Valley community foundation.
He is also a member of the Bradley – Bourbonnais Sportsmen’s club, the River Valley Chamber of Commerce, and has been a youth sports coach for girls softball, men and women’s ice hockey, T-ball, basketball, volleyball, softball, and soccer.
Dr. Koehler is a member of the American Chiropractic Association, the Spine Research Institute of San Diego, California, and the Illinois chiropractic Society Sports Council.
Dr. Koehler has attained board certification as a Chiropractic Sports Physician and chiropractic claims reviewer. Further, he has attained certification in a number of chiropractic techniques and attends post graduate certification and educational conferences on a regular basis.
- University of IL.-Chicago 1977-1981
Majors: Biology, Sociology
- National College of Chiropractic
Lombard, IL 1981-1986
- B.S. – 1984
- D.C. – 1986
- Certification Cox Flexion / Distraction Technique
- Logan College of Chiropractic – Chesterfield, MO
– Board Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician CCSP – 1991
– Certified Chiropractic Claims Reviewer – 1992
- Post-Graduate – Dr. Koehler has completed over 500 hours of education in orthopedics, neurology, whiplash, headaches, medicare, radiology, technique and professional development.
- American Chiropractic Association (ACA)
- Illinois Chiropractic Society (ICS)
- Spine Research Institute of San Diego, California
- Nat. College Alumni Association
- American Board of Chiropractic Sports Physicians
- Chiropractic Licenses held in
(State Board Certified)
– Indiana (inactive)
- Kankakee River Valley Community Foundation (2000-Present)
- Hundred Club of Kankakee
- River Valley / Bradley-Bourbonnais Chambers of Commerce
- S.E.I.U Local 236 (1972-1986)
- Bradley-Bourbonnais Sportsman’s Club
- Kankakee Area Jaycees (1987-1990)
– Vice President – 1989
– Jaycee of the Year – 1988
- Watseka Jaycees (1990-1996)
– President – 1992, 1993
- Village of Bradley
– Trustee 1998-2000
– Community / Civic Affairs 1996-1998
- Ducks Unlimited (1998-2003)
- Youth Sports Coach / Sponsor – Girls softball, ice hockey, tee-ball, basketball, volleyball, Little League and soccer
- “Healthy Mind – Healthy Body” presented to over 30 schools and 2,000 children
- Numerous community fundraisers
– Sponsor / participant
Dr. Nims grew up here in Bourbonnais and graduated from Bradley Bourbonnais Community High School. After high school he attended Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville where he graduated with a Bachelors in Science degree with an emphasis in health education. Dr. Nims graduated from Logan College of Chiropractic in 2010 and was awarded the Logan College of Chiropractic health center achievement award. While at Logan he studied a variety of techniques including: Diversified, Logan Basic, Graston, SOT, Thompson, Activator, and Motion Palpation. Dr. Nims also has extensive training in other alternative treatments of chiropractic. These include Receptor-Tonus technique as originated by Dr. Raymond Nimmo D.C., Myofascial release technique, and acupressure to focus on the soft tissues of the body (muscles, ligaments and tendons) to release muscle tension and improve body function [“MUSCLES MOVE BONES, BONES DO NOT MOVE MUSCLES”] as well as the traditional adjustment.
After graduation Dr. Nims moved back to his home town and accepted an associate position at Koehler Chiropractic Sports and Spinal Rehab. He treated patients there for over three years and then moved to San Antonio, Texas to further enhance his knowledge and skills in treating patients with various soft tissue injuries. Dr. Nims moved back home to Bourbonnais to continue working at Koehler Chiropractic Sports and Spinal Rehab in November of 2014 where he currently lives with his wife Megan, son Luca, and daughter Giavanna.
- Bradley-Bourbonnais Community High School- Graduated 1997
- Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville- Bachelor of Science
- Logan College of Chiropractic- Graduated 2010
- Kankakee Chamber of Commerce
- Kankakee Hundred Club
- Illinois Chiropractic Society
- The Foundation for Chiropractic Progress
- Logan College Alumni Association
- Chiropractic licenses held in (state board certified)
Dr. Karvala grew up in Iron River Michigan where he graduated from West Iron County High School. After high school he attended Central Michigan University in Mount Pleasant Michigan where he graduated with a Bachelor’s of Science degree with a major in Mathematics. Following his undergraduate school Dr. Karvala attended National University of Health Science and graduated with his Doctorate in Chiropractic. While at National he studied a various types of techniques including Diversified, Thompson, Activator and Motion Palpation.
- West Iron County High School graduated 2000
- Central Michigan University Bachelors of science degree
- National University of Health Science graduated 2013
- Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity
- Chiropractic licenses held in (state board certified) – Illinois